Saturday, April 07, 2012

Dell XPS 15z active window randomly lost focus

I have been using the Dell XPS 15z for a few months and it has this really annoying bug that drive me crazy. Some how my active window would lose focus and I have no idea why. I look at the task bar and there appears to be no other active window. This is especially frustrating while writing code. After doing a little research, I cut and paste together a little utility that helps pin point the thief. It was Dell quickset.exe util. Further research reveal that the ambient light sensor trigger quickset.exe which in turn steals the focus from the active window. You can read more from this forum, http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19393785.aspx?PageIndex=3.

Here is the code to my little utility. I didn't come up with the idea nor the code.
https://bitbucket.org/tuesdaysiren/detectfocusstealingprocess/overview

There doesn't seem to be a fix for the problem except taping over the sensor. The only temporary fix is to adjust the back-light by pressing Fn + F6.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I have the same situation on Dell Vostro V131 (Win7 Pro 64bit). When I press Fn-F6, or I wait for a while focus become lost. I will try to find a new quickset or something.

Unknown said...

Possible solution to modify registry to a process couldn't steal focus.

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19393785.aspx?PageIndex=3

Conrad said...

Thanks for the registry tip.

Anonymous said...

Dell posted a driver update a few weeks ago that is supposed to address the loss of focus due to the ambient light sensor.